Thursday, October 8, 2009

Dry Spell... Wet it with Pico de Gallo!

So... I haven't cooked anything new lately.
Had tacos again last night though, but this time with homemade salsa and guacamole and I gave in to sour cream :/. So I will just write down the procedure for the salsa and guacamole.

Salsa:
I really winged this as far as measurements go, so it's really up to you. You should taste as you go.

Ingredients
Tomatoes (cherry or otherwise)
Half a red onion
Half a jalapeno pepper
Cilantro
Half a lemon
Olive oil
Red wine vinegar
Salt
Pepper

Procedure
Chop tomatoes, red onion, cilantro
Combine
Deseed and devein jalapeno pepper and finely chop
Combine
Add lemon juice, about a table spoon of olive oil, a few dashes of red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper

The salt should extract the juices of the vegetables and in a few minutes, with careful stirring so as not to mash the vegetables too much, you should have a delicious salsa in your hands.

Guacamole:
This was really simple. When it comes to guacamole, I really love simplicity. Avacados taste so beautiful on their own so I like them to be the stars in this side dish.

Ingredients
One large, ripe avacado
Garlic salt
Half a white onion
Half a lemon
Cayenne pepper

Procedure
Remove meat from avocado (maybe I will post later on how I like to go about this)
Finely chop onion
Combine
Add salt, and dash of cayenne pepper
When adding lemon, be careful to add only a few splashes of juice (too much lemon can over power the guacamole)
Mash with fork or whatever utensil you have on hand

I like my guacamole just a little on the chunky side so that it is not like a paste and has more texture to it.

Hopefully I will be adding new recipes!
But other than this, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment