Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Chicken-Katsu

Donkatsu! It's a dish I've grown up with and always loved. I mean, fried anything, nom nom nom! But this is extra goodness wrapped up in extra yummy-ness. Reminds me of the local Wakko in L.A. In that restaurant, I'd be with my parents. We'd order combinations. I would get donkatsu with soba, and my sister would get udon. We'd all sample each other's food. It was so good, hearty, and hit you in the right spot. It was definitely a filler. I'm a little afraid to work with pork, so I decided to do chicken-katsu. I love this because I had an excuse to buy Panko crumbs, a delicious Japanese-style bread crumb that my family has been using for years and years. It has been the breading of choice for as long as I can remember. Panko is really crunchy, and gives a nice flake to the item. I also had the sauce already, microwaved some rice, and ate it with a side of sweet corn. Next time, I'd like to try it with a side of salad, with a light, possibly sesame-seed inspired dressing, and corn.

Photobucket


Ingredients
Thinly sliced chicken breast
Panko crumbs
One egg
Flour
Olive oil

Procedure
Have Panko, egg whipped with a fork, and flour set out in three different dishes
Have the chicken breast cut in two depending on its size
Heat oil in a sauce pan on medium (be careful to not let the oil burn you!)
Put the chicken breast in the ingredients in the following order: Flour, egg, Panko
Once the chicken is completely coated, put into the oil
Leave it for about 3-5 minutes, or until the crumbs are nice and brown
Flip and do the same
Take the chicken out and repeat process for other piece of chicken

Chicken-Katsu 1


This is just so delicious and home-y! Next time, I'll try it with a side of miso soup, or maybe even soba!

P.S. Pictures this time! Yay! Next time though I will try to work on the quality and look of the picture. I wasn't even thinking of plating when I put the dish together, but I'd say it turned out pretty well ;]

No comments:

Post a Comment