Thursday, September 24, 2009

19 and Hungry

My name is Eileen.
Almost two decades ago, in sunny Los Angeles, a baby girl was born on the third month of the year. Flash forward 19 years later, and here I am, a sophomore in college, in Boston of all places. People ask me all the time, "What in God's name made you leave 60 degree winters for 15 degree ones?" And truthfully, I don't know. It was probably a combination of things. Parents, friends, myself, they all somehow convinced me to pick the winter-y winters of the east coast. True, last year was a rough roller coaster for me. I wasn't the happiest pickle in the bunch--in fact, I think I was the sourest (if that metaphor even makes sense and if I even used real words). But I learned to appreciate the opportunity that I was thrust into. I was able to get through it--the classes, the homework, the dorms, the cafeteria--HOLD ON. The caf!?! Am I seriously saying I got through that? Well maybe I stuck it out, but I was certainly not eating my way to happiness through french fries, hamburgers, dry chicken, soggy vegetables, and salty rice. Which brings me to my current point in life--19 and hungry.

I've always loved food and in some ways I think food has always loved me :]. And to show my love more culinary compassion, I am proud to say that this year, I am living in an apartment, equipped with a refrigerator, a toaster oven, and a gas-burning, pilot-light-constantly-going-out, uneven temperature distributing, stove! And thus, God hath given man fire! And with fire, he (or she) actually made something edible! So here's the point: I plan on not just crawling my way through my sophomore year, scrounging up frozen foods and microwaveable lean pockets, but to actually wield a spatula, a chef's knife, a frying pan, and to cook.
I promise there will be dissapointing dishes, but there will also be delectable delights. My aim is to blog and record my adventures and misadventures, and come out victorious for going on the journey at all!

Let this be one little nudge for me and one tiny shuffle for all foodies alike!

No comments:

Post a Comment